Popular Posts

16 November 2012

When Formula One Came to Austin

So, I'm thinking about our culture's infatuation with watching sports - whether it be team sports like football, basketball, and baseball; or more individual sports like golf, tennis, running, and auto racing. Part of the reason I'm thinking about it is because Austin is opening up a race track this weekend.
Honestly, I've never seen much appeal in watching others engage in physical activity - it just doesn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things, or in enhancing my personal enlightenment.
I'd rather be an active participant. Even there, though, I have to be aware of my limitations; and I'd rather be in a sport or exercise that has some secondary goals or maybe even healthy competition integrated into it. Example: I prefer to walk and bike to places, rather than drive... I prefer playing volleyball over playing football...
Mind's still sleepy, and I'm not sure where I'm going...
I guess I just don't feel invested in professional sports.
In a similar vein, I feel only slightly more investment in non-local artists, probably because I haven't had the opportunity to get to know them as fellow humans. However, some times art *DOES* change me, even when I'm just the spectator, and it is for those artists that I am grateful, as they have usually changed me for the better, or, at least, broadened my horizons.
Going to tag Troy Dillinger, 'cause his conversations here, this morning, got me thinking about this.

No comments: