Popular Posts

08 January 2009

another random listing.. this time - goals (from 2008, updated in 2009)

I wrote the following at the beginning of 2008, and I'm adding "progress updates" in italics, now at the beginning of 2009:



Over the next year, I plan to:



  • change careers to one that better uses my B.S. in Mathematics from UT Austin,
    So, I'm doing "easy" tech support, at least for a couple of months, now - a little closer.. took 12 jobs to reach it...
  • become more involved in community volunteering, starting with Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic and SXSW,
    I think I volunteered 4 hours with RFBD last year, 'cause I was derailed by job instability. I did earn a platinum badge at SXSW (80+ hours)
  • develop a meditation/exercise practice, drawing on Zen Buddhism, yoga, and Tai Chi,
    Since this summer, I've been attending an un-ritualized Buddhist sitting group (Dharma Punx) on a fairly regular basis -- still, I'm only on a weekly sitting practice, and not yet up to a daily practice
  • reconnect with my Catholic heritage,
    eh... I think I can count the number of masses I attended last year on one hand. I got to be the train conductor at the church's Fall Festival, though.. ;P
  • expand my circle of friends in South Austin, (one reason for internet dating)
    I expanded my circle of friends, but mostly through my connection with AA
  • look up some old friends who I've lost touch with,
    I have reconnected with some high school classmates, primarily through facebook... would still like to find former French House members...
  • become a better player of Texas Hold'Em,
    I placed sixth in the city-wide tournament at the beginning of the year, but have not really played regularly since...
  • and get out to see more movies, music, and plays.
    Here's where that unstable job situation blind-sided me again. ...that, and my dad moved to Houston, so I lost my primary "movie bud" **SIGH**



In five years, I would have liked to:



    Errr... one year down, four to go...? (No significant progress made yet in any of the following...)
  • spend at least one month in another country,
  • found a fulfilling relationship with a lady I could grow old with,
  • earned a master's or doctorate degree, most likely in the cognitive sciences.
    Well... I have been looking into furthering my education here and there...

No comments: