Popular Posts

21 August 2015

P.o.t.D. 8/21/15: "Why, God?"

Men created Gods,
Hoping to explain
Powers that they could not fathom.

That's my first theory,
But I think it has some flaws -
Like anything created
By imperfect, incomplete men.

I believe, that we want safe shelter,
Sanctuary from the chaos
Of the massively independent universe.

We want so much
Just to belong,
To feel a part of,
To feel we have a great purpose,
To feel connected to it all.

I depend on God(s),
On Powers greater than I,
To trust in causes and effects
That guide my actions
To help the greater good.

There are still times,
When I react out of fear,
Trying to snatch and grab
All that I can from the show.
Let that greed leave me, now.

Also, I can not predict
My fellows' actions,
As they may not play
By the rulebook that I use.
May that hate..?
Dissipate?

Is yearning for polite society -
And also carnal passions -
Are those desires to be with others
Fueled by Suffering,
In the Buddhist sense of the word?

What do I need,
To find quiet peace?
Right actions,
Some times self-sacrificing...
Interactions,
Some times quite unexpected...
A sense of direction,
Some times hidden by minutiae...

I rarely try to bludgeon you
With details of the God(s) I use -
Yet there they are,
Lurking in the background of my superego:
Scientific models and explanations;
Mythos Greek, Norse, Indian, and more;
My Catholic upbringing,
My current Zen Buddhist and Taoist leanings,
Modern mythos like Gaiman's Endless
And urban legends and society's group ethics;
And just my plain past experiences
Of things done right and things done wrong.

Why are there God(s)?
To bring order to the chaos,
To give sanctuary for the wounded,
To guide the group consciousness,
To make our time on this blue pebble
Just a little bit more bearable.

No comments: