Popular Posts

05 February 2011

What can I write about? 

To me, it seems I should stick to my own experiences and areas of expertise, for the most part.  This is a little difficult, because an original thought is hard to come by, these days.  Also, I am hardly an expert in most areas of life, mostly because I choose to forgo TV and newspapers and web surfing, and all those other media outlets, preferring to rely on the collective experience of  my friends.

There's a great book I read, once, for a class at UT-Austin.  I think it's titled Information Anxiety by Richard Saul Wurman?  It speaks volumes to the pitfalls of being a news junkie...

Now, I could also post links to videos and music that I enjoy, or internet references back to "authoritative" opinions, but, if I do so, I must follow the Reporters' Creed and remember attribution.

I imagine that I will be prone to indulge in some creative writing, too, just because I like to play with words.  If I get really creative, I might do some graphic art, too, either with pen and paper or with mouse and media program - we'll just have to see if that materializes somehow in my schedule.

So, I would claim to be an expert in mathematics, and fairly competent in the sciences - these are the fields I'm most likely to break my media ban for.  I like to think a bit about psychology and social dynamics and such, but, there, I am not well-read... doesn't mean I won't write about them, just that you should take what I say with a grain of salt.

Beyond that?  ...drawing blanks.  So, you probably shouldn't check in here if you're looking for auto repair -

OH, oh..  it could be cool to share some interesting recipes, cool entertainment...  yeeeaaaah...  I do have a small passion for games, so that might crop up from time to time, too.  Besides, games and mathematics are closely related...

If you think about it, mathematics is a foundation for a lot of stuff - probably the reason why language and mathematics are considered the core of an education.  Wasn't it the German mathematician Gauss who said:

Mathematics is the queen of the sciences, and arithmetic is the queen of mathematics.
Now, I should mention, "I don't study mathematics for the calculation.  My enjoyment of the subject is much more rooted in the logic, deduction, and proof.  An elegant proof has an artistic beauty to it."

Well, it's looking like my house mates are about to sit down to it, so I'm going to post this now, and come back to the blog later...

No comments: