Popular Posts

08 September 2015

P.o.t.D. 9/8/15: "Demon in a Pack"

The time had finally come
To leave the smoke puffs alone,
To brave the road with my Dad
And not bother him hourly
To feed a foul addiction
Whose claws were in me so bad...

So, on September the Sixth
In the year of Twenty-Twelve
At 10:23 a.m.,
I choked down my last cheap square
In Dad's front yard, in Garland,
Praying I'd not smoke again.

We took the trip to Kansas,
Stopping for meals on the way,
And I ate snack after snack
To curb the devil's cravings -
How I had to talk myself
Out of getting one more pack!

The worst was watching my Mom
Chain smoking her Pall Mall pack,
And hearing my demons scream,
"Ask her for a cigarette,
You can handle it, just fine!"
She's quit now, from what I gleam...

Using food to curb cravings
Tapered off after some months,
Although I still like the sweets.
I'm so glad to be smoke-free,
It's saved me health and money -
May all smokers try this feat.

No comments: