Popular Posts

09 May 2021

A year later... remembering Mom

 

I am grateful that I got along well with her. I am truly grateful that she could keep the holiday gatherings spell-bound with her various family stories. She and her sister even self-published a few books of their childhood stories.
Yesterday, I also remembered taking a call from my Mom, on New Year's Day, 2010, when she watched her sister die. It's suspected that my aunt had too many medications at the same time, to treat our family's history of heart disease, diabetes, and more.
When I think about the women in my family, I'm proud of their independence and I'm glad for their openness. I'm reminded that we're all human, and to respect each others' wisdom and intelligence.
Tangent: I'm also reminded of those two sisters at the foot of my bed, gently calling my name to bring me back to reality; when I put myself in the hospital with a Depakote overdose. After 3 weeks in a coma and dialysis, I came back to life hearing Mom's "Jody..." - while the TV played "The Simpsons" various Treehouse of Horrors - it was October and John Glenn was going back to space.
Remember to honor and appreciate mothers and fathers - they've done quite a lot to keep us safe and secure.

No comments: