Popular Posts

19 June 2021

19 June 2015

 Push and pull,

Post and post and post...
Perhaps people purse their lips,
Play at approval,
Press buttons.
So, where am I going there?
Not really writing a poem, because I've already got mine for the day. Just playing around..? Because I have hours to use up, and commitments to ignore...
So bummed out by the Facebook feed lately, with all the nasty politics and terrible tragedies, and feeling helpless that my opinion counts for zilch - as I'm not directly connected to any of it. I'm just this middle-aged childless straight white guy living in poverty, right? So, who am I to talk about race issues, or testing in schools, or gay marriage rights, or which Presidential candidates have valid views, or science results that I didn't find on my own, or....
So, I feel somewhat fed up, and ineffective, and I'm toying with recasting myself. Another one of those, "This is how I'll interact with Facebook now" campaigns. Perhaps it might translate well into "This is how I'll interact with the world now" campaigns.
Instead of liking something here, I will comment upon it. I will try not to share posts, but if I do, I will add a comment as to why I'm sharing it in the share posting. However, I will still write my poem for the day. To give myself time to taper off, I will set my start date at July 1.
I also will try to be careful about the events I sign on, too... Far too many seem to have passed by that I said I would attend, only to back out because of lack of transportation, or lack of finances.
There's a part of me that has been, and would like to again be, a reporter; passing along news of the world while staying fairly impartial. But, by over-sharing, it's far too easy to be labeled as a egomaniac, I think, by others. If you're always talking about the stuff you like, then others may begin to feel that you do not care about the things they like, right?

No comments: