Popular Posts

08 July 2021

8 July 2016

 My comment from another post: (I thought it may be worth sharing)

(Issue 7). Talking about racism will be difficult.
I would like to think I'm not racist (or classist, or sexist...)
However, the behaviors are so ingrained into our culture, that there may be a lot of racist behaviors I'm unconsciously engaged in, because those behaviors are still perpetuated by mainstream society.
It will be tough, at times, to acknowledge, "yes, I do that..." And tougher still to ask, "what's the right alternative?"
However, we need to be actively engaged in changing our cultural conditionings at the individual level, and not expecting our government to dictate from on high how we should act.
Hopefully, if we can build momentum and consensus and majorities around new behaviors, then we will elect and appoint government that mirrors that...
But it's a very slow process, that can be easily derailed, especially if we come away with the impressions that our micro-changes are not working...
Still, we are our own governors, and if I can sleep well at night, knowing that I caused no harm today... It's a good day, for me? (Sounds hokey , though)

No comments: