Popular Posts

31 October 2021

31 Oct 2019

 "If I think about myself too much, then no else will want to think about me." (not a direct quote, but rather another attempt to 'meme up some junk')

...and with how villified narcissism has become... "If I think about myself too much, then others will wonder how little I think of them."
----- expansion follows ----
I do not think that I am final word on any subject, or that I am correct on any topic, even when I'm voicing my opinions. In that sense, I do not think I am full of myself, like "a true narcissist".
However, I also do not think your opinions should be accepted unchallenged - and that's probably brewed tons of trouble over my lifetime. It's kind of like the annoyance we get when our 5-year-olds keep asking us, "but, why...?" I personally think the annoyance is not so much at the child, but rather at our inability to phrase our explanations so elegantly that both we and the child better understand the world. (drifting into tutoring quandaries and differences in pedagogy, and such... and that reminder today when I questioned if sub-cultures could propogate flawed models or interpretations)
I feel a lot safer talking about myself, than I do about you or a third party. I do not enjoy "office politics" or real politics, because so much of the discussions devolve into judging others. Yet, there is quite a lot of clarification of ideas that develops when discussing others - not always helpful clarification, but clarification still ensues. Also, no one likes to be put under the microscope - so talking about third parties is probably safer than talking about the person you're talking to.
(...lost track of post.... too much written. Ah, my fault appears again, wrapped in long monologues...)

No comments: