Popular Posts

05 October 2021

5 Oct 2012

 Reminder to self: find out if the movie, "Symphony of the Soil", is playing in Austin any time soon - the first 30 minutes were awesome...



Another take-away: there are places, both urban and rural, called "food deserts" because the communities there do not have easy access to nutritional food. A common question there, "What gas station do you shop at?"
So, how can we get locally grown food available there? The presenter's answer, I believe, was 'aquaponics' (sp?) - aquariums and garden trays linked by their water recycling cycle..
It was an interesting 15 minute presentation...


And then there was the 15 minute presentation focused on changing consumers' energy use by drawing on ideas from the fields of behavior modification sciences.
Like, adding emoticons to electric bills..?
I think I came away from that talk wondering if presenting savings in more graphical forms would help promote the adoption of energy-saving practices? ...or maybe just creating a different inertial frame, like using opt-out instead of opt-in models...


(I'm not sure if I'm using my time wisely over the last couple of days... I feel like such a passive consumer, instead of as an active contributor.)


If you haven't seen the 20 minute video, "The Story of Stuff", I would recommend taking the time to watch it. Just follow the link below:

No comments: